Thursday, March 31, 2011

19 jobs and counting...

Since I am kind of, sort of, between jobs right now,  I had to take sometime to look at my job history and tweak my resume'.  In my almost 48 years of life, where I have worked steadily for 30 of those years, I have had about 19 jobs.  I know that in the past, the average person graduated from high school, went to college, graduated from there, and then worked at one job until they retired.  I don't think that this is happening as much as it used to.


I don't quite know why I have had so many different jobs, but I really don't regret any of them.  Some were better than others, and I have only been fired from one of those (I am fairly certain that the management and I couldn't agree to disagree and I was asked to go). As a rule,  I have been able to leave on my own terms and usually have had another gig ready to go.  And I will try pretty much anything.  


My consistent gig has been hairdressing which I have been doing since I was 18.  I have seen clients come and go but have been blessed to have a dozen or so folks been with me practically since I started.  They have been with me through just about everything and they aren't just my customers, they are a part of my extended, slightly dysfunctional family.  And I love them and grateful to them for sticking with me.


I have also worked in a fast food place, a gift store, a card shop, a handful of salons, a fitness club, and a nail salon.  I have bartended, catered, waitressed, house sat, delivered the newspapers, and managed a garage. I have worked in a now defunct movie store and I have tried a handful of different direct sales businesses. I am still with one of those companies and still love it because it fits in with whatever else I want to do.


I know that some people considered being married and being a parent a job, but I don't and never had considered it to be a job.  Being a wife and a mother was a choice for me and is really the only thing that completely fulfills me.  I adore my husband of almost 20 years and you will be hard pressed to find someone who is more insanely in love with all (4) of their children. Yes, sometimes parenting is challenging, but it is an adventure at the same time. I look forward to see how these humans turn out.


So, I am not quite sure what my next job will be, but whatever it is, I will give it my all until something else changes or comes up.  I am never afraid or nervous to try something new.  I never know if it will be the opportunity of a lifetime or just another stop on the road of my life.


But it seems like I might be sticking to this blog for awhile.  I have been wanted to write ever since I can remember and am grateful to those of you who have read what I have written.  This is giving me great satisfaction and could be my next big thing.


Thanks for spending your precious time with me and my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment