Saturday, April 2, 2011

Customer service goes both ways...

I have worked in customer service, to one extent or another, for almost three decades.  I know how to provide great customer service and I know how to be an exceptional customer.  All of my experience, and experiences, have provided me with valuable insights to this relationship.


I filled in at the Route 9 Blockbuster today.  My store officially closed more than two weeks ago so I had a little bit of breather before heading back into the trenches.  This store closes on the 10th so the location is in full liquidation mode.  The dynamic in the store is entirely different than when it was rental location.  One of my first customers of the day had an issue with a charge to his credit card, AND an attitude.  He had a copy of his statement.  I just needed to verify all the information, his membership and get the okay for a refund from the store manager, who I had to call at home and wake up.  Well I guess I didn't do this quickly enough for this gentlemen. Then he proceeded to tell me I was being rude.


Please don't bring this behavior to me. I have told many people, many times,  if you come you come to me with kindness,  I will return the same. Yes, things happen that can be frustrating, but any good customer service person is available to help you and WANTS to rectify the situation,  and will bend over backwards to do so. Just don't be mean, nasty, or bitchy. And PLEASE have the documents we need to help. Whether it be a bank statement or a receipt, bring it with you.  These things pave the way for issues to be resolved quickly for us both.  If you don't have these items, that is okay.  Being pleasant goes a LONG way.  We really do want you to leave happy.


On the flip side,  I do everything I can to be a good customer.  I will wait patiently on line, let someone in a rush go in front of me, try to have all the paperwork I need, and say "Hello" to the person that is waiting on me.  I say "please", "thank-you", and give a compliment if it is earned.  I have written letters and e-mails, and have called store managers and corporate offices if I have received exceptional customer service.  I have also done the same if the the service was horrible. This doesn't happen often though.  If you put out "good", you should get "good" back. I hope the next customer experience you have is a great one, no matter what side of the counter you are on.


Thank you for spending your precious time with me and my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment