Thursday, April 21, 2011

No empty nest here!

For the longest time, my husband and I have been telling the kids that when the time comes, WE are going to move out and they can have the house. We don't think that they will ever  leave. Maybe that it isn't a bad thing. For now, I don't mind them all being home.


In fact, I like that they WANT to be home. Their friends are always welcome here and 9 meals out of 10, there is enough food for at least one more person to break bread with us. When the kids are home and any of their "peeps" are here, I know that they are safe. It is the same thing with kids sleeping over. I don't mind a houseful then either, for the same reason, everyone is safe.


Our front porch is offering the same sanctuary to birds. There is a corner of our front porch roof that birds always construct a nest in. It doesn't matter what my husband does to dissuade them from building there, but the birds can't be deterred. It is an area that is protected from the elements and larger birds can't get to, so those little eggs are safe until they hatch. Last year, a lazy bird took advantage of the nest after the first chicks grew and took flight. It is like a timeshare bird condo. 


When my husband took the nest out of its' corner, he put it in the backyard. It came out as one, solid piece of construction. It was so well made, that it remained together for the entire winter. It survived the elements intact. I guess the home we live in is equally safe and sound. It was built in 1871 and is still going strong. And if it can if it can survive sheltering  our family, I am sure it can survive another 140 years after we are gone.


Thank you for sharing your precious time with me and my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment