Friday, April 22, 2011

The Fountain of Youth?

I can name that tune in one nanosecond...


In all honesty, I cannot tell you what I had for lunch yesterday, or today for that matter. I tried to recall the meals before I started to type this, but I have drawn a complete blank. What part of your brain is used to store and recall this information? I haven't a clue. But turn on the radio, and with one split second of a song play, nine times out of ten, I can tell you what it is. Especially if it was recorded in the last 30 years or so.


Now it doesn't matter what kind of music it is. It can be rock, heavy metal, easy listening or current pop tunes, I can tell you the title and the name of the group or singer. My kids are incredulous of the whole process. I guess I didn't watch a whole lot of television in my youth because I really remember thousands of songs (except most new country) and with the single sound of a note, the information just pops into my head. The Rolling Stones, Barry Manilow, and Lady Gaga all have equal time in my brain.


I don 't know if this bodes well for memories or lack thereof when the aging process really starts kicking in. I hope I can keep surprising my kids with this Rain Man type skill along with having the capacity of being nostalgic about their youth. Because this is the good stuff!


Thank you for sharing your precious time with me and my words.



No comments:

Post a Comment