Friday, April 15, 2011

If it is Sunday....I am clipping coupons!

I know there are television shows and "experts" talking about the virtues of clipping coupons, but this is nothing new, especially at my house. I have been clipping and saving for years, before it was "cool" and a reality t.v. show.


I have always had the Sunday paper delivered. It isn't because I wanted to read the latest news or gossip, it is because of the coupons. I get my local paper and the Daily News (the paper is for my husband, the coupons are for me). I put on a pot of coffee and get my favorite scissors and start clipping away.


Keeping a family of 6 fed, bathed, and dressed is no easy feat. This is where coupons come in. I know the process is time consuming but is well worth my while. For example, I had to make a CVS run today. I had my coupons and Extra Bucks (additional coupons for already shopping there) ready to go. I also bring the flier. With the sales, coupons, and Extra Bucks, I saved 61% on my final total. The cashier asked me to go grocery shopping with her so she could save too.


I also have the same success at the supermarket. I watch the sales, bring my bags, and give myself time to be thorough. I saved almost 70% off my total bill.  Please know that I do not shop every week and I don't hit all of my local supermarkets. I have favorites that I frequent. I don't have time to drive all over the place and with the price of gas these days, I have to be practical. And I do find by shopping in this manner, the brand names are almost always cheaper than the off brands or the generic products.


The amount I save helps pay for the extras, like a few days at the beach in the summer, or a family outing, or a nice dinner out. It kills me to pay full price for anything and with being a diligent shopper and coupon clipper, I don't have to. So if you are still not compelled to clip and save, hold on to your coupons for me, I'll come and pick them up on my way to the market.

Thank you for sharing your precious time with me and my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment